You are here
WHO we impact
Those currently or at risk of being homeless:
- 11% of the citizens in Alamance County were homeless in 2012 (point-in-time count).
- Persons living in poverty in Alamance County in 2009 was 15.2% and by 2012 the numbers had increased to 16.3%.
- In Alamance County during 2011, the number of children documented in emergency housing increased 3.75 fold in that one year (2011 Alamance Community Assessment).
- The unemployment rate continues to be a major factor (9.5%) in the local economy and has a tangible effect on homelessness (May 2013 Bureau of Labor Statistics).
Those who are hungry:
- North Carolina ties with Louisiana for the number one position for children under 5 years of age who are regularly food insecure (North Carolina Association of Feeding America Food Banks).
- 80% of North Carolina households who are food insecure have children with no food and no idea where it will come from (North Carolina Association of Feeding America Food Banks).
- 19% of citizens in Alamance County are food insecure (2011 Alamance County Assessment).